Sending your test administration to your Google Classroom Course Feed
This article will cover how to administer an itembank assessment online. The live proctoring feature of monitoring students during an assessment is covered in a separate help document.
To start, locate the assessment you'd like to administer in the list of assessments. Click into the assessment and click on Administrations in the Overview.
Click on the Create Administration button in the top right.
Click on Google Classroom to create a quick code for your students to join the assessment. You will need to click on your school district account first. Then the first time you go through this process, you will need to approve Classify Learning access to your Google Classroom account.
The list of administration settings will appear. If you have preset your default test administration settings, it will match what you have set.
- Google Classroom Course - select the Course you'd like to have your assessment sent to in Google Classroom
- Date Range - Set the dates the assessment will be available for students.
- Window - By default, the assessment will be available all day for students to access. You can choose to narrow that down to a specific time range during a day. For example, if you only want the students to have access to the assessment during the school day, you may choose to adjust the window to 8:00am to 3:00pm. This will match the time zone you have set in your account.
- Locked Browser - Download the Safe Exam Browser for free. This option locks your students into the test window so they cannot navigate away and browse the internet during their test session.
- Time Limit - Limit the amount of time students have to take the assessment. The timer starts when the student begins the test and will automatically close once the timer reaches the allotted time set here.
- Calculator - enables a calculator for use during the test. Some individual items may have this as part of the default item settings, so you can choose to use this or enable for all items on the test. You can choose to enable the Basic or Scientific calculator.
- Rulers - enables a ruler to become available on all items on the assessment or just on those that have it set by default.
- Protractor - enables a protractor to become available on all items on the assessment or just on those that have it set by default.
- Digital Notepad - allows students to take notes on each item on the assessment
- Strike Out - once enabled, allows students to visually strikeout possible incorrect choices on a multiple-choice or multi-select item. This is a test tool to help students narrow down to the correct answer.
- Sticky Notes - allows students to paste digital post-it notes on an individual item
- Drawing Tools - students can use a digital pen to draw and make notes on top of an item
- Highlighter - Highlight text on a passage. Multiple color options are available.
- Text Dictionary - Students can highlight a specific word and the dictionary will provide the meaning
- Picture Dictionary - Good for English Learners, this tool allows students to see a picture meaning of the word
- Screen Mask - A way for students to visually focus while reading an item. This will mask most of the item only displaying a few lines of the item at a time.
- Text to Speech - students can choose to have an entire item read aloud to them. Students can choose to start at the beginning of an item, or click into an item/passage to begin reading at that specific point. Text to speech can also be paused while active at any time.
- Display Rubrics - allows students to see the scoring rubric while taking the assessment.
- Randomization - choose to have either the items randomized or the question choices, or both. This allows students to each receive different versions of the same test. Note - this deactivates the pacing mode feature of live proctoring.
- Results - Enable your students to see the results of their assessment immediately after they submit the test. Note that some items may require teacher scoring and the results would not include the scores of those items yet. Also, you can choose to let the students see the individual questions and whether they got them correct or incorrect (or scores pending for teacher-scored items). A review window date range option will also appear here.
- Click Save.
Once the administration is created, it will appear in the list that was empty before. Below are explanations of each of the components of the administration list:
- Date - view when the assessment will open and close. The green icon indicates that the window is current and live. The icon will turn red once the window has closed.
- Window - the time range during the day in which the assessment is available for students
- Created By - name of the user who created the test administration. Your name will appear here as well as any other users in your district who has administered this assessment if it is shared.
- Access Code - the code students will use to join the assessment from within their account.
- Students - number of students who have joined that specific administration using the Access Code.
- Cogwheel - From here, you can edit the administration, and manage the access code by displaying, resetting, or disabling.
Feel free to create as many administrations as you would like! Each access code you give out to your students will contain the administration settings you include in that specific administration. For example, if you want your 2nd period class to only have access to the test during 2nd period time block and then 3rd period to only have access during their 3rd period time block, create two separate administrations with those settings!
Helping students join the assessment administration
All the students need to do is go to their Google Classroom course feed and click on the assignment that has been added. Once they click on the assessment, they will be taken straight to the test within their Classify Learning. That's it...it's that easy!
All the student needs to do once inside Classify Learning is click Start Assessment in the top right corner.